I have been chatting with Ivan Skaines, Council’s Economic Development, Tourism and Events Co-ordinator, about the Dungog Shire event landscape and, as usual, September provides a smorgasbord of opportunities for both locals and visitors to the area.
– Circus Avalon will be at the Dungog Showground from this Friday, 7 September to Sunday, 9 September 2018
– The Vacy Village Country Carnival will be back again next Sunday, 9 September
– The Hunter Valley Polo Challenge will be held at Wirragulla on Saturday, 15 and Sunday, 16 September
– Pedalfest will be staged with two new events namely the Dungog Criterion around Dungog on Saturday afternoon, 22 September and the Bingleburra Sportive on Sunday morning, 23 September
– The annual Art Exhibition staged by the Dungog Arts Society will be launched on Friday, 21 September and the exhibition will run from Saturday, 22 September until Monday, 1 October
– And to finish off the month the Dungog Festival including Sculpture on the Farm at “Fosterton”, the Country Garden Ramble at Dungog and Fosterton, and Oktoberfest at Wallarobba will be held over the weekend Friday, 28 September to Monday, 1 October.
Since Dungog Shire fights above its weight in organising and staging iconic events, most of which are organised by community groups and not for profit organisations, there are a number of us keen to see the major events strategy which is currently being developed for the Hunter Region. A discussion has been undertaken to canvas views on the future of events in the region with a wide range of business, industry, sports and events sector representatives, and these are being turned into concrete ideas and options for discussion before finalising the strategy recommendations.
A final report is imminent, and we look forward to having a framework for growing events in our region, and also capitalising on large events being held nearby.
Registration for our Dungog Shire Live Love Shop Local promotion has now closed. The promotion will take place during October 2018 as part of the Department of Industry Small Business Month. With approx. 24 businesses on board there will be plenty of Dungog Dollars on offer.
President – Dungog District Chamber of Commerce